Individual community relation is one of the most important aspects of our lives. Human are social animals who love being together. We are naturally designed to connect with one another. Being part of a community correlates with the number of very desirable mental and physical outcomes. It has been associated with mental health and cognitive resilience which means you have stronger thinking skill, mental health and ability to bounce back from challenging mental stress. It also helps to reduce chronic pain, lower blood pleasure, improve cardiovascular health, etc.
People who are more socially connected to family, friends, and their communities are happier, physically healthier, live longer, and have higher levels of wellbeing with fewer mental health problems than people who are less well connected with the community. Making new connections, having people to talk to and depend on through hobbies or a social group can help reduce the risk of mental illness. Research shows that loneliness kills more people than any other diseases known to man. It is important to make community relationship a public health priority. The fact is that feeling valued and comfortable socially can prevent and reduce the feeling of isolation, anxiety, depression and more. Community involvement provides social connectedness and a sense of belonging. It also offers extra meaning and purpose in everyday life.
Factors That Contribute to Isolation from the Community
- Childhood circumstances such as poor attachment, neglect, abuse, lack of quality stimulation, conflict and family breakdown can negatively affect future social behaviour, educational outcomes, employment status, and mental and physical health.
- Lack of interventions with parents that focus on their relationship as a couple can affect children’s wellbeing and reduce emotional and behavioural difficulties.
- Older people are faced with isolation when all their children are away as a result of job or marriage.
Benefits of Engaging Positively With People in the Community
- Engaging positively with people in the community improves thinking skill, mental health and ability to bounce back from challenging mental stress swiftly.
- High community relationship improves longevity
- It helps to reduce chronic pain, lower blood pleasure, improve cardiovascular health, etc.
- Increasing community participation by 10% reduces violent crime rate.
- It improves and maintains cognitive vitality in older adults.
Way-Out Of the Loneliness Epidemy and Enhancing Individual Community Relation
- Recreation centers should be constructed. A large study reveals that psychological distress is reduced by 34% from engaging in recreational activities.
- Stop the “me, myself and I” attitude. It is unhealthy. It changes the way we function gradually leads to loneliness.
- Older adults should not be left to stay alone. Loneliness reduces lifespan and mental health.
- Support others and give room for others to support you. It helps you manage emotional stress. It improves interaction and builds a stronger community relation. The link between positive social support and happiness is greater than smoking and cancer. Being supportive is an essential component of healing and improving intellectual performance.
- Most importantly, join our community at HIPP about Health, find out how and why, click here